What is Graveyard Art?

The graveyards of New Orleans are filled with novel opportunities for photography and many of us avail ourselves of the chance to go there on sunny days or dreary, depending on our moods and needs. Despite this, you will find few artists who focus on graveyards as a photographic specialty. Why? Because there's no money in it.

Still life, or rather death, awaits every Saturday, typically from 9 til 2 in the oldest graveyards. This where some of the most unique mausoleums loom. This is where I am often found, week after week, trying to capture "Iron Patrick" and "Armorgroden" perfectly. In my collection you will find, I hope, a strong bent towards juxtaposition and contrast, color and shading. I am trying for themes, using something smaller than a sledge but often bigger than a ball pin to make my point.

I hope you find something you can't live without.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009



Bayou Retirement Home

Lafayette 1, 2009
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment